Skip to Main Content
Developing a topic IS Research!
Don't be Jenny!
- Think about your first idea as a place to start -- not as your final question or statement
- Check your assignment for types and number of sources required
- Explore! Learn about your idea, read more than you have to, discover aspects that lead you closer to a question or statement that fits the size/scope of your project
- Test your developing idea by searching for resources that meet your assignment guidelines
- Narrow or broaden your focus depending upon your results
- Repeat until you get the quality and quantity of resources that don't "drown" you, but help you to cover your particular focus thoroughly
- Gather any final supporting sources you may need
- Revise! (with help, as needed)
The Research Cycle at a Glance